29 December 2006

Operational Intelligence vs. Operations Intelligence vs. Operational BI vs. ... ?

In my previous post Operational Intelligence augments Business Intelligence, I referenced to an article by AMR Research on the topic of what they call Operations Intelligence instead of the Operational Intelligence I find better suited. Apparently one of their readers agreed and sent in a letter regarding this.

The Intelligententerprise.com prefers to call it Operational BI in their 7th annual BI Megatrends report. A term I like allot too I must admit, but more because of the commercial value then because of it's descriptive essence.

Also IT analyst IDC uses the term Operational BI frequently. Ventana Research uses the same Operational Intelligence I personally also prefer and our company uses in all MarComms and on our website. This term is also defined on Wikipedia, even though I think their definition could be improved upon.

So which term do you prefer? What words do you use when searching the web for related information or explaining the technology to a colleague?

No comments: